Bang, You're Dead

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He was actually with her at the time Troy was killed. What if it came down to admitting it? It could destroy her marriage as well as his own. "Shit," he yelled out loud. He started to reach for his phone but stopped, wondering if the cops could already have it tapped? He still had his burner. He took it from the drawer but then realized he didn't have her number and had to look it up.

The call came in on the house phone so Morgan was shocked when she heard his voice. "Robert, are you nuts calling me here. What if Ian had been home?"

"Morgan, I'm sorry but we may have a problem. I had to call and let you know what's going on."

"What?" she asked in a shaky voice.

"Troy Englander, my partner, was shot and killed yesterday morning."

"Oh, Robert, that's terrible. I'm so sorry."

"Thanks. The problem is it appears the cops are trying to pin it on me. They have the pictures Troy took of us and they know about the fight he and I had."

"Pictures? WHAT PICTURES?"

"Troy got some pictures of us kissing through the doorway of the motel. I told you..."

"You said he knew about us. You never said anything about pictures."

"Anyway, we might be in trouble here. I might have to tell the cops who you are so you can alibi me."

"No!"

"What do you mean no? He was killed while we were together. I just came from talking to them and gave them the same BS I told Angie—that I was at the library but of course there's no way to confirm that. Without someone to vouch for my whereabouts at the time of the murder they might have enough to charge me."

"I don't care, Robert. You're always telling me you're a professional, figure out some other way. If you give them my name I'll say I never heard of you. I'm not going to let Ian find out about us, Robert."

"Look, Morgan, I'm not happy about this. My own marriage will be in jeopardy too, but if it comes down to it you have to tell them the truth. This is my life we're talking about here."

"I don't care. Do not send them to me!"

"Morgan, you can't deny it. They have pictures of us together. You're kissing me in your panties and bra."

"I don't care. I'll say it was months ago. I'll say you lured me there and tried to take advantage. I'll deny everything," she screamed before hanging up.

Suddenly Bob was feeling very alone. Eighteen years... four with the Marines as an MP, four years on the Arlington Hills police force, and ten years as a private investigator...eighteen years of experience and he didn't have the foggiest idea how he was going to get out the mess he'd gotten himself into. He suspected even Angie would turn against him once she knew of his affair. He sat in his chair contemplating the loss of everything he held dear—maybe even his freedom.

With a heavy sigh Bob knew he had to start taking action; first he had to protect himself legally, then he had to find Troy's killer.

***

Morgan sat near the house phone. Her hands trembled as she stared into space. Her mind just kept running over the conversation she'd just had with her former lover. It can't be happening, she told herself. Two years—two years they'd been meeting for sex without a hint of being discovered. Now there was a real threat.

Tears came without warning and she broke out in an uncontrollable crying fit. She curled herself into a ball of grief as thoughts of the consequences for her actions permeated her mind. "No, no, no," she cried over and over.

For almost twenty minutes, Morgan was completely incoherent of anything around her. The notion of losing her family had paralyzed her with anguish. As some lucid thought slowly crept back into consciousness, her mind started searching for answers. How could she keep her secret? If the cops came to her door should she deny everything or could she count on their discretion. Would her information go into their report? Police reports were public information, privy to reporters...reporters who might work for her husband...No, she couldn't take that gamble.

She was all finally cried out but her chest still heaved as she sobbed. It was almost two o'clock already. The kids would be getting off the bus in ninety minutes. She tried to calm herself down as she climbed the stairs. She was a mess. She needed a shower.

By the time she had to meet the kids at the bus stop she had managed to calm down and act somewhat normal. She did this by telling herself over and over that things were going to be okay. Robert loved his family as well. He'd find a way.

As was the normal school day routine, Adam and Landen pulled their homework assignments from their backpacks and spread everything out on the kitchen table while Morgan started dinner. They hadn't notice anything wrong with their mother but Ian was due in half an hour and that would be a different story. She was peeling potatoes at the sink when he walked in.

"Hi, hon," he said, coming up behind her and giving her a kiss on the back of the neck. Almost instantly he felt the tenseness in her body.

She turned and forced a smile as she returned his greeting with a kiss on the lips. "Hi, honey. Dinner will be ready shortly."

He could see it in her eyes. It looked like fear to him. He pulled her in tight for a hug and whispered in her ear. "Something wrong?"

"No," she shot back quickly. "I...I guess I'm just a little overworked today. I'm a little tired, honey, that's all."

"You sure that's all it is, babe? You seem—I don't know...tense I guess."

"No, I'm fine, honey," she replied with another artificial smile.

"Okay," he said, letting the subject drop. Ian walked over and gave the kids a hug before Adam asked him about a history question.

Later that night Morgan was having trouble sleeping. She rolled over on her side so she could watch her husband. He lay there so peaceful. This rhythmic breathing ended with a small snore on every exhale. She had become so used to it she'd forgotten he snored at all. She gently laid her hand on his chest so she could feel it rise and fall with every breath. "I love you so much," she quietly whispered. "Oh God, please help me," she prayed.

***

The next morning Angie was surprised to discover the office door unlocked. She walked in and found Bob pouring a cup a coffee.

"Angie, what are you doing here? We're closed. Go home."

"Uh-uh; Tom had to go back to work today and I'd go stir crazy sitting at home alone. There must be something I can do. Have the cops come up with any leads yet?"

"Yeah," he said with a chuckle. "Me."

"You! Are they serious?"

"I'm afraid so. You know when Troy and I went to the firing range a few days ago?"

"Yeah."

"Well we shot each other's guns, just to try them out. Troy didn't clean his afterward and my prints were still on it."

"And because of that they think you shot him? That's ridiculous, Bob."

He took a sip of java and thought for a moment. "Angie, you're going to find out the whole story anyway. Pour yourself some coffee and come into my office. I'll tell you about the whole sorted affair."

She wasn't sure she wanted to hear about it. From the way her boss talked she probably wasn't going to like the things he had to say. She took his advice about the coffee then apprehensively walked into his office and had a seat.

Bob took a breath then started his soliloquy. "Angie, you know how much I love my family. Cindy and the kids are everything to me. Unfortunately that didn't stop me from cheating on her. A couple years ago I ran into a friend of my wife's in a restaurant. She had another woman with her..."

He told Angie about the immediate attraction they both had for each other. He explained everything but never mentioned Morgan's name in case the cops questioned her. If she didn't know the name she couldn't be charged with obstruction or perjury. It was nine-thirty as he was finishing up. "That's it, Ang. I'm sorry. I know I've let you down as well as my family. I don't think there's going to be anyway to hide this from them. I'm not going to tell the kids but I'm going to level with Cindy tonight after the kids are in bed."

Angie sat with a shocked look on her face. It matched the shock she felt in her heart. Almost unable to believe the things she'd just heard, Angie kept slowly shaking her head. She finally spoke. "Bob, I can't tell you how disappointed I am. All this time; for ten years you had me believing you were an honest and moral person; a man who loved his family and would never do anything to hurt them."

Not saying another word, she jumped from her seat and quickly walked out of his office. She heard him call her name as she continued out front door but paid no attention to it. As she got into her car and headed back home she wondered if he realized she'd just quit.

Her words stung. Bob liked Angie a lot and knew she'd always regarded him as a friend, as he did, her. Well, friendship or no, he couldn't dwell on it. He had an appointment with his lawyer. After that he had to get back to investigating his late partner's murder.

In all his years as a P.I. this was the first time Bob ever had to hire a criminal attorney to represent himself. He picked Lou Heckley. He'd seen him in action and liked what he saw.

Lou listened intently to Bob's story, then had some questions. "Okay, Bob; have you told me everything? Can you think of anything else you may have forgotten or left out because you don't think it's relevant?"

Bob thought for a moment. "Ah, no, I don't think so."

"Okay. The woman, this Morgan Anderson," he said, referring to his notes. "She seems like a real wild card here. You say she flat out refused to corroborate your alibi?"

"Yeah. I can't say I blame her. All this time I pretty much guaranteed her we'd never get caught. I kept telling her I was a professional and I knew what I was doing. Now," he looked down at the floor in shame. "I mean she can't really deny the affair. The cops have the pictures but I'm wondering if she'd really deny we were together that morning just to get back at me."

"Well," his lawyer assured him, "there are ways to force her to tell the truth if it comes down to it. So far the cops haven't charged you. I'm sure they still have some unanswered questions. When they're done with their investigation they'll go to the D.A. and he'll determine if they have enough evidence to charge you. If they do, we'll ask for preliminary trial to ascertain if there is really enough evidence to go to trial. That gives us subpoena power. She'll have to take the stand and swear under oath. I doubt she'll take a chance of lying when faced with a year in jail for perjury."

"God, I hope it doesn't come to that."

"If it does we'll be ready," Lou told him.

Bob left the lawyer's office feeling a little more reassured but more determined than ever to find Troy's killer. If he could solve the case quickly maybe he could salvage a couple of marriages. He was even rethinking the talk he was going to have with his wife. If there was even the slightest chance that she never learned of his affair he had to take it.

Back in his own office he started pouring over everything they had on Roger Bracken. He was the only legitimate suspect Bob could think of. He didn't think Bracken had pulled the trigger himself. Why would anyone with that much money take that risk? No, Bob thought sure he'd hire a hitman. If that was the case there had to be some bread crumbs he could follow.

The first thing he did was dump Bracken's phone. At this stage he wasn't worried about the legal ramifications. He highlighted several numbers he considered possibilities. Next he started pouring over the financials again. There had to be a payment from one of the many accounts that correlated with the phone records.

All he had to do was come up with enough evidence on Bracken to get the cops off his back and looking in the right direction but so far he was coming up empty.

It was almost three in the afternoon when the office phone rang. He picked it and unconsciously greeted the caller..."Sander's and Englander Investigations."

There was a brief pause before he heard a young lady's voice. "Mr...is this Mr. Sanders?"

"Yes," he answered.

"Mr. Sanders, this is Jacqueline Englander. I don't know if you rem..."

"The pretty little girl with beautiful black hair and glasses," he said, finishing her sentence. It was Troy's daughter. He hadn't seen or heard from her since Troy's ex-wife ran off with another man and took the little girl with her. It took Troy over a year to track them down and when he did his ex had convinced the little girl that he was a wife beater and she was afraid to see him. "It's been awhile, Jacqueline."

"Yeah, I know, ten years. The police tracked me down and told me what happened. I'm here in Chicago. I...I'm going to have a small service for dad day after tomorrow. I wondered if you'd come and maybe say a few words?"

"I would be honored; where and when?"

"Ah..." she had to check the name on the mortuary's business card, "Heinrick's Funeral Home," she told him. "From there we're going to Pleasant Garden's. Dad already had a plot there. I guess there's one for mom and me there too."

"I'll be there, Jacqueline. What time?"

"Oh, I'm sorry; two o'clock. And...I...I don't know any of his friends. Could you call anyone else who you think might want to go?"

"Of course," he confirmed.

"Thank you, Mr. Sanders. Maybe we can talk a little tomorrow too. I'm pretty sure my mother told me a bunch of lies about dad. I'd like to find out what he was really like."

"I'd be more than happy to sit down with you, Jacqueline..."

"Call me Jackie, please."

"Okay, Jackie. Maybe we can have coffee after the ceremony."

"Yeah, I'd like that, thank you. I'll see tomorrow then."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Jackie."

After hanging up, Bob sat back in his chair and remembered the pain Troy went through, not so much regarding his ex, although he loved her with all his heart, but because his daughter had turned against him. Several times Bob had encouraged him to look her up as she got older but he refused saying he couldn't take her rejection again.

Sadly Bob picked up the phone and started to call some people to inform them of Troy's service. Jimmy said he'd be there along with a couple others. He tried to call Angie but got no answer. He didn't know if she was out or simply wouldn't pick it up so he left a message.

It was a small service. Troy hadn't socialized much after his divorce and friends have a habit of falling away if you don't keep in touch. Bob broke down while giving his eulogy. He was also surprised to see Jacqueline, Troy's daughter crying as well.

Several people approached Bob as they walked from the gravesite to say how touching his comments were, even Angie. Since Troy's daughter was from out of town and had no place to hold any kind of get together after the service, Bob and Cindy invited people back to their house. Jackie followed the procession.

It was a couple hours before things started to break up. Jackie met the few friends her dad had maintained and listened to stories of his exploits. She now knew what she had suspected for the last few years, her mother lied to her. Her dad was not a bad man. She stuck around to help with the clean up after the other guests had left. That gave her a chance to talk with Bob.

"I should have followed my heart," she said. "I should have come back here and looked him up. I...it's just that mom had me so scared of him."

"I don't understand why your mother turned on him like that. He loved her," Bob remarked.

"I'm not sure but I think it was out of guilt. You know...a good defense is a good offense. I was pretty young and they tried to keep a lot of things from me; trying to protect me I suppose. I know she cheated on him and he caught her."

"Yeah, that's true," Bob confirmed. "He was devastated. Losing you though, that's when he completely fell apart. He loved you so much."

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was mom's revenge for not forgiving her. Sometimes, after I was in bed I'd hear them fighting. I know mom begged dad to forgive her but he couldn't do it. I'm pretty sure that's what turned her against him."

Jackie couldn't hold it inside anymore. She'd been putting on a brave face until that moment. She grabbed ahold of Bob's shirt and buried her head into his chest as she burst out in tears. Bob put his arm around her as the whole family tried to comfort her. It was several minutes before she composed herself, after which, Bob made her an offer.

"When do you go back to New York?" he asked.

"Ah, my plane leaves tomorrow at two-thirty."

"Why don't you spend the night here then I'll take you to the airport tomorrow."

"Oh," she replied, "I don't want to put you out. You guys have been so kind to me, I don't want to overstay my welcome, Bob."

In spite of his own problems, Bob felt he owed it to Troy to watch out for his daughter. "Nonsense, we have a spare room so it's no problem at all. I'll take you to your motel room. You can pack your clothes, check out, and I'll bring back here. Then I'll take you to the airport tomorrow."

She accepted his hospitality and had a nice visit until he dropped her off at O'Hare the next day. She had tears in her eyes again when they said good-bye.

Bob had intended to drive into the office from the airport but just couldn't bring himself to do it. It was Sunday. The kids were home. His family needed him and he needed them. Tomorrow was another day.

Monday morning, Bob was all business as he walked into his office bright and early.

"Hi, where's Angie?"

Bob was surprised to see Jimmy sitting at Angie's desk. "Ah, she's taking some time off. What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean? We still have clients don't we?"

"Yeah, but I've got to find out who killed Troy. I don't really have time for anything else right now," he told Jimmy.

"I figured that. That's why I'm here. Maybe I can keep the clients happy long enough until you can pick things up again. I was looking for some notes of Troy's but I couldn't find anything."

"I've got everything from Troy in my office. I've been going through it myself."

"Yeah, I figured that. Well, if you've got time can we go through the clients stuff and see what I can help with? I found some notes, a couple reports, and some billing that Angie was working up."

"Jimmy, that would be great. Do whatever you can do. I'm concentrating on Bracken. I'm pretty sure he was behind Killing Troy."

"Bracken? Really?"

"Yeah. I'm going to get back to it," said Bob while walking over and starting a pot of coffee. If you run across anything that looks like it could be related to Troy's death, let me know."

"Will do, boss."

For the next several hours both men worked tirelessly. Jimmy had finished a couple of invoices and had them ready to send out. He also had an idea of what he had to do over the next couple of days. He was about to go into Bob's office and go over a few things with him when four men walked in, two were in suits and two were in police uniforms.

"Is Robert Sanders here?" barked one of the suits.

"Ah, yeah. What's going on? Got a lead?"

Bob heard the voices in the outer office and went out to see what was going on. He recognized sergeant Lafferty and detective Mosinksi right away. As soon as they saw him the sergeant spoke up.

"Turn around and put your hands against the wall."

"What?" Bob was astonished. He really didn't believe this was going to happen.

Detective Mosinski was the next to speak. "Robert Sanders, we have a warrant for your arrest."

Jimmy couldn't believe what was happening. He didn't even know Bob was being looked at as a suspect. He started to rise from his chair. "You guys have to be kidding. This is ridic..."

He was interrupted by one of the uniformed officers who told him to sit back down and keep his hands where they could see them. The other cop took Bob's Beretta then searched him for more weapons before cuffing his hands behind his back. Jimmy watched in disbelief.

1...34567...9