Cities of Power Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is that right?" Spar turned his head to look at his daughter where she stood with her mother on the porch. "Perhaps we should go inside and talk about that then," Spar said in a voice that gave nothing away about how he felt about the announcement.

"Mason didn't come with you?" Rock asked, trying to keep the disappointment from his voice as he saw all of Spar's children gathered around him.

"I am sorry, Rock. I wish he could have come, but it just wasn't possible this time. I promise I will bring him to visit with you soon. We are happy in Phoenix, but he misses you and his mother a great deal. If you would like me to deliver a message on my return to him, I would be more than happy to do that." Mica said genuinely apologetic.

"I will let his mother know, she will want to send something," Rock said and turned away from the gathering. "Come visit with us when you get the chance," he said over his shoulder.

"I will," Mica said solemnly, and watched the man go before following his family inside.

Talon walked carefully, keeping some distance between himself and Trix who still walked with her mother, their arms resting around each other's waists.

"Emery says the orchard is showing signs of sprouting," Flint said, looking out of the north facing window.

"Show me the Warhammer," Spar said without preamble, surprising them all. "Word spreads, and by the look on your faces I have heard the right of it."

"What have you heard, and from whom?" Judah asked in a demanding tone.

"I heard there was a massacre in Pegasus and that two of my sons rode into battle with the big men of Gryphon and the Warriors of Pegasus to end the bloodshed. I heard that my sons wielded mighty Warhammers that were blessed by the source itself, and I would like to see such a weapon," Spar said belligerently, not liking Judah's tone. "This is my home, and these are my sons, so best you keep a civil tongue in your head, or you will find my welcome wears thin!"

"I am merely expressing my surprise that the news reached your town so quickly," Judah said unapologetically. "I am still curious as to who brought you the news so swiftly."

"Two armoured men from the city of Faith arrived yesterday on horses. They were looking for the sons of Hammer and Jewel. Specifically, the one called Flint, but all five of them. They have been told there are only four, but they continue to believe there is five," he said and turned his gaze on his son. "They said you saved many innocents in the city of Pegasus." His voice still held the hard edge with which he addressed Judah.

"I didn't do it alone, Emery and Talon both were in the midst of the battle, if you could call it that," Flint shrugged. "As were the big men of Gryphon and the warriors of Phoenix."

"I'd like to see the Warhammer," Spar repeated his initial demand.

Flint shrugged off his jacket and reached behind him to lift the head of the hammer from the cradle of the harness in the small of his back and pull the long handle free of the leather strap that held it in place. He hefted the weapon and passed it to his father.

"So, it's true then," Spar said, looking at the weapon but not taking it from his son. "You made it yourself?" He asked.

"I made it," Emery admitted. "Along with this one," he pulled his Warhammer from the holster on his back.

"Why would you go to Pegasus and enter a battle that was not your own?" Spar asked, his voice still hard but seemingly angry now as he looked at his sons. They both looked at Trix briefly but remained silent.

"So that is true as well," Spar said, turning his anger and disappointment on Talon who had stood back from the conversation until that point.

"Yes," Talon said. "I love Trix, and because of that she was attacked by Night Walkers when Flint had managed to keep her safely away from me and danger for weeks. She was healed by the witch, Ayla, when her life blood was draining away, and cared for by the healer, Jade, who brought her back to health while your sons and I rode with our friends to the city of Pegasus to stop the evil perpetrated by a madman. We killed no one and saved a great many lives by the actions we took that day." Talon spoke as if giving a report. "I would have come to you earlier before Trix felt the need to run away, but the same madman had locked me in a cell, and it took the might of Jacob the Grand Arbiter of Justice to demand my freedom."

"So, you steal my youngest son and defile my daughter and still have the balls to stand in my home without apology?" Spar growled through clenched teeth, aware of his family watching him.

"Is it not better to know that Mica is happy in Phoenix? He is working with the technology and man he loves without any judgement. In fact, he is regarded highly as a freeman of Phoenix, as is Mason," Talon said in an easy manner that belied his wariness. "As for Trix, I have loved her from the first night I met her. I intend to marry her, I would prefer to do that with your permission so we could visit often, but it is not necessary if you find you can't forgive my earlier actions and know that I am very sorry for the hurt it has caused both you and her mother."

"How can you speak of Trix and Mica returning to Phoenix with you and then apologise for the hurt you have caused us knowing their absence will only cause more?" Spar asked, surprised by the words that came from the young warrior. He apologised for the hurt it caused, but didn't seem to be determined to take them once again from the home and village where they had grown up.

"Isn't it better to let them know they are welcome to return at any time rather than have them be afraid to face you for the choices they make now. Mica is a free man. We have no hold on him or where he goes. He is, however, accepted and respected as a man in my city, a man with skills that far exceed our own in his chosen trade. He has his own forge and asks no one for permission to work in it. He has apprentices that look to him for guidance as he once looked at you for the same. You cannot offer him that here, not while you work the forge. You can't offer any of your sons that which they desire most." Talon challenged his perception of his sons and their abilities.

"I would not hold them back!" Spar raised his voice as Talon pointed out that his sons were grown men and didn't need his guidance anymore.

"That is a good thing, because I believe Flint, too, plans to marry and settle in a village in need of a forge to raise his own family. I imagine he, too, would like to know the door was open to him when he returned to visit his beloved parents." Talon pressed his point.

"There is enough work to keep them all busy here in this town. There is no need to look to any other village," Spar retorted.

"It may be as you say. Five blacksmiths' in one town while other villages of faith suffer with none seems a high price for good people to pay to keep your children dependant on your good grace," Talon mused. "I am not a villager, though, so I don't always understand the laws of the free lands, we would never see another clan suffer when we have more than enough to share, but that is our way."

Spar stared at the young man, saying nothing. He had, for all intents and purposes, just called him selfish for wanted to keep his children close. He was a man of faith and justice, he would never see anyone suffer needlessly. He looked to his sons, his eyes landing on Flint and the woman in green standing beside him and understood the truth of Talon's words. If he tried to hold them here, they would leave and never return. Talon was giving him the option to allow them freedom if they wanted it with the promise that they would return often.

"Still, you and your warriors came and took what you wanted," Spar accused.

"You had more than enough to share, and Mica came willingly, though it is true that we may have persuaded him differently had he not. He is a free man now, however, and can come and go as he pleases, as can Mason. We merely needed help to train the apprentices. He is a master metal worker, he is not our prisoner, and I am not his warden," Talon said. "Mica is free to return home whenever he wishes now. The question you must ask yourself is why he would choose to stay in the city of Phoenix."

"A master metal worker?" Spar turned to look at Mica who held a guilty expression.

"I sent home what I could when I could to show I still wanted this town to flourish, even though I wasn't here," Mica said defensively. "You are growing an orchard now with the seeds provided by the people of Phoenix. I will continue to send more when I return to the city."

"It would be better to bring them yourself, even if you choose not to stay with your family," Spar said, contemplating his son. "And you?" he turned back to Flint.

"The rumours about my part in the battle will only bring people here seeking me out, and not all of them friendly. It's best I go and find a place elsewhere where I am not putting my family or village in danger. Somewhere nearby perhaps, so we could visit often," he added.

"And you will take my daughter from her mother a second time?" Spar accused Talon.

"That is her choice. I have told her that, if she wishes to stay, I would stay with her and ask for a place in your town watch," Talon said, looking Spar in the eyes and showing the truth of his words that he would give up his life in Phoenix for Trix.

"What of your parents?" Spar asked.

"I have a brother who will step up into my place, and a sister who will wed a great warrior and diplomat who rode into battle with us. I will be missed, but there are others who can take the place that was mine there," he said easily, hoping it wouldn't come to that but accepting that it may be his fate.

"To be fair," Judah stepped forward. "Talon is a prince in the city of Phoenix. He is heir to the Hawk dynasty. He would be sorely missed by both his family and friends if he did not return, yet he would give it all up for your daughter."

"I didn't know that!" Trix exclaimed. "You should have told me that!"

"Prince is overstating it a little. I would never use that term," Talon laughed lightly, smiling at Trix's outburst. "I am the first born of my house, no more, no less. If Trix decided to come with me to my city, she would be treated like a princess, however."

"I can guarantee that she would be welcomed as a princess by many of the people in that city, and not just those of his clan," Mica said. "As would any of you, should you choose to visit. Being my parents alone would afford you great honour and respect." He grinned.

Spar couldn't handle hearing anymore. When he had heard his sons had returned this was not what he had expected or wanted. He needed to find Rock and discuss these matters with him, so without another word Spar left the house, walking away without a backward glance.

"Well, that seemed to go well," Cobalt said in a droll voice. "Brandy anyone?"

Trix walked into the back yard with Jade and Opal to visit her tree, and the brothers walked into the forge to relive their childhood for a time. At a loose end, Talon and Judah walked out into the village, wanting to see the fledgeling orchard and well the villagers had built. They had almost done a slow circuit of the town, inspecting the walls, when Judah began to talk again.

"You did well," Judah said to Talon. "You did not bend to the big man, but neither did you seek to antagonise him further in an argument."

"What would be the point? It would only make Trix and her brothers unhappy if I fought with their father," Talon shrugged.

"Are you sure of that?" Judah smirked. "I think they quite liked seeing someone stand up to their father and talk to him as an equal. They might have enjoyed more of a spectacle."

"You're probably right about that," Spar said, moving out from beside a building into their path. "My sons say that you treat everyone as an equal, whether they be prince or pauper. It is a good way to be, and something I have come to appreciate. You have brought them home when they have admitted being reluctant to test the extent of my welcome. That is a hard thing to hear from your children."

"Truthfully, Judah brought us back here; I, too, was reluctant to meet my future father in law after our first encounter. I appreciate you not arresting me for kidnapping your son," Talon let the curl of a smile touch his lips.

"Trixie deserves to be treated like a princess. My wife has railed at me often after our little one left for cutting her off from the world outside our family. Perhaps if she had more experience with the other children of this town she wouldn't have been so eager to defy me by continuing to see you," he admitted.

"Then I will be eternally grateful to you for the upbringing you gave her," Talon let his easy smile show then. "I cannot imagine my future without her in it now."

"You will bring her back to visit often and encourage Mica and Mason to do the same?" Spar pushed the words out, hating the thought of losing either child again.

"You will become sick of the sight of me coming through your gates," Talon agreed.

"I best go speak to Trixie," Spar grunted and walked away, leaving a stunned Talon looking after him.

"He took it hard," Rock said, and Talon realised he had been standing beside Spar the whole time, but the big man cast such a shadow that everything around him seemed eclipsed. "When he lost four of his five children he seemed a broken man for a while. He is a good man and only sought to protect them and the village, to find he could do neither has shaken his pride."

"Neither?" Judah asked.

"The fanatics claim that the town will be destroyed when the prophecy rings true. Something about breaking the walls of lowly man's power and a crumbling tower. I'm not sure I got the right of it, but Spar seemed to take it badly," Rock explained.

"How long ago did they leave?" Judah asked.

"They are still here, they took shelter in the sanctum and have been lecturing from the pulpit ever since," Rock shook his head. "Most of what they say makes little sense, but that first conversation with Spar was almost enough to break him completely. He could live with the loss of his children because he convinced himself it was his duty to save the town, but to lose both for nothing," Rock shrugged. "He's not the same man anymore."

"I think we'd better go visit this sanctum," Judah said to Talon. "If you'd be so good as to show us the way," he encouraged Rock.

"It's right there," Rock said, pointing to the building behind him. "Spar and I had gone to make sure none of the towns folk loitered near their craziness. Spar has denounced their ravings as those of madmen. There ravings disturb him though, it's as if he has seen ghosts each time he comes in contact with them."

Talon and Judah entered the sanctum and took a seat at the back. No others were in the audience, as one of the two men stood at the pulpit, his eyes glazed as he spoke with fervour about the coming of a comet that would signal the end of the winged beasts. He seemed to stop mid word and look directly at Talon.

"Flight of the Hawk swift and true, flight of the unicorn and peril ensue," he intoned and seemed to become confused, looking around as if he had lost something. "Protect the unicorn, young Hawk, she is in peril," he said in a wooden voice. "The comet will wreak havoc on men's souls, and the unicorn will not see the danger, dancing elusive beast so easily fooled."

The man continued to lapse in and out of the prophecy, adding more of his interpretation to the verses as he spoke. He seemed to be fixated on the third verse, as Talon knew it, and it disturbed him to think that Trix was once more in danger. In this place, she should have been safe. She was surrounded by the strongest of men, who each loved her. Talon continued to listen, trying to reason out the danger that she could be in, or whether, as Spar had said, these Fanatics were just madmen.

Mica walked into the Sanctum and sat beside Talon. He looked at Judah, who sat with his eyes wide open but a blank expression on his face.

"You've been gone for hours, Trix is starting to believe Cobalt's teasing that Father killed you after all," Mica whispered out of habit in the Sanctum.

"Son of the Jewel, maker of stars!" The Fanatic raised his voice and focused his attention on Mica. "Desire the Unicorn by stars bejewelled!"

"You make stars for Trix?" Talon asked.

"I used to when she was little. I carved them from stones, and at night the lanterns would reflect off the polished surface. Not jewels, just polished stone, when I started working in the forge I did it for practice, so Father would let me work with the real jewels we found out on the cliff face," Mica explained. He, too, became interested in what the fanatic was saying.

The second fanatic seemed to stir from where he had lain across a bench and looked up at his brother. He turned slowly to look at the back of the Sanctum where the three men sat, and then past them to where Emery and Cobalt entered the building with Trix between them. The man stood, his eyes widening as Flint walked in behind them with Jade, followed by his parents.

"The Hammer and the Jewel with the five sons," he said slowly as the other man stopped his rabid chatter about comets and the earth shaking and seemed to focus on the small group at the rear of the building.

"I told you they were raving like madmen, they know nothing of our sons and us," Spar spoke to Opal while looking at the Fanatic.

"No, Hammer, he too will be a son at the end," he pointed to Talon, who showed no emotion at being named the son at the end. "The Hawk and the Unicorn are prophesied, as is the son of the Hammer and the son of the Jewel, the son of the people and the son of the light. There will be the fifth son at the end of it all. The source has willed it to be the number of five, and so it shall be."

"We will perform the necessary ceremony in the morning," the man who had stood at the pulpit joined his brother.

"Do you know who I am?" Judah seemed to snap out of his stupor and address the two men.

"The prophet Judah," they responded in tandem.

"Who sent you here?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at the pair. "Speak only the truth," he commanded.

"Flight of the Hawk swift and true, flight of the unicorn and peril ensue," One finally said after his mouth seemed to work as if wanting to say something completely different. "Flight of the elements no equal share," he continued and stopped as if struggling with his thoughts. "Break upon the walls, Break upon the stones, big men march," he seemed to sag as he patted his hand on his chest.

"And the earth does quake," Talon finished for him, musing over the man's selection of words from the prophecy. "It's okay, rest now brother," he patted the man's shoulder and drew Judah a few steps away. "Glow said she had the same problem. She felt compelled to seek me out and then couldn't tell anyone why or about the sinister voice in her mind. Forcing them to answer what they cannot won't help anyone."

"The black robe has no power now," Judah said adamantly.

"Then there must be another who is pulling the strings of those that seek to thwart the prophecy. Someone in Gryphon perhaps, if these men left before those who were in Pegasus returned," Talon considered the problem.

"They'd have to have the power of a magician to maintain that sort of mind control over such a distance, and all were accounted for during the last week," Judah said, still unwilling to believe that there could be another like the leader of the Night Walkers. Still, he hadn't spoken to the Night Walkers himself. He had left that to Gabriel and his men of Justice. Gabriel could have sent them. He knew that Judah was bringing the family together here. The fact that these men had arrived days ago with news of what happened in Pegasus already in their hands was suspicious enough. He dismissed the idea of Gabriel doing anything untoward as quickly as it came to him. They each knew that they could more easily stop the sun from setting that thwart a prophecy. He needed to get back to the protection of his village so he could walk the mists properly and discover the truth of these two fanatics.