Future Pharming Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Of course," Noxworthy replied. "You are correct in that we've identified the sequence in the vaccine and replaced it. Those tests concluded two months ago. Now, we are ready to go to the FDA, and normally, we would move forward now. The problem is, with the government involved, they want boxes checked. Boxes we'd never considered nine years ago. Studies for side effects back then were nowhere near as important as providing a solution and soothing the public."

He seemed controlled and wanted to pause at that point. I thought I would let just a little of my knowledge show.

"I'm not a big fan of the government, or meddling in science, Mr. Noxworthy," I told him "I...

"Call me Brian, please," he interjected.

"Brian," I restarted, "but in this case, I agree with them. I'd say being lackadaisical back then about the critical tests on side effects, is what got you into the situation with the government, to begin with." My wife gave me a look like "Don't fuck this up."

"Both my wife and I are regularly tested and must take any and all boosters because of our work, as you know. With my background and my job, I certainly understand the steps, as well as the length of time it takes to create a fool-proof vaccine. I haven't been happy with the way that process has been rushed these past nine years, so if the government wants to get it right, I'm all about that."

Noxworthy gave an almost imperceptible smirk as if he had me with that comment. I didn't trust him. Of course, I hardly trusted anyone those days.

"I appreciate that, Steven," he said. "We're not in uncharted waters, but we need to get this done, pre-FDA so we can get the medicine out to the public as quickly as possible. Lives are at stake."

I'd heard that too many times in those previous nine years and remained unaffected.

"What other questions do you have?" he pushed forward. "I understand you have some questions about the... shall we call them - accommodations."

I looked sharply at Sarah. Did she tee this up with Noxworthy? She looked a little nervous.

"Yes," I said. "I don't understand the need for all the hyperbole. The island for one, and the activities. Why wouldn't this be done locally, at a clinic? I mean other than the logistical convenience of having all the test subjects together in one place."

"Fair question," he answered quickly. He looked to Dr. Ling. Ling spoke English, but with a heavy Asian accent, of which persuasion, I wasn't sure. He was difficult to understand.

"The study, by nature," he began, "is physiological. Physical effects, side effects. We need couple to relax. To be more at ease." He was failing with his inability to convey the message properly.

"Steven," Noxworthy took over. "To support each other, during the trials. To enjoy other non-intimate activities together. Besides that, it's the holidays this month, and we aren't heartless. Believe me, if we could wait until January, we would."

I understood what they were both saying, minus the intimacy part. Maybe other couples lived differently than Sarah and me. Maybe some weren't on as solid of ground as we were. I suddenly worried about how many times per day I'd need to 'perform.'

Noxworthy plowed forward. "I think you'll find our accommodations to be world-class," he stated proudly. "The U.S. Government spares no expense these days. You'll probably meet some very nice people here as well."

That was where I became stuck. I understood - no, wanted to say I understood - some of what seemed to be missing. My mind made that split-second decision, one I'd come to regret for not making them spell everything out as if I was a layman. My stupid pride got in the way, however, and I moved on.

"What about Christmas Eve and Day?" I asked. "And will you have a schedule for my wife and me to spend... 'non-intimate time,' as you put it, time together? What type of medical testing will be required? I assume we'll need to be screened for a number of things."

"Yes," Ling said. "Bloodwork, which we'll collect as soon as we have your acceptance. You've both had the virus, and that wouldn't matter, because you've both been inoculated with each of the vaccines and boosters. Sarah will need to be tested for cervical or ovarian cancer, pre-trial, and you for any stomach cancer. That will only require a separate tube of blood.

"We'll send someone to your home," he continued, "or you can go to the hospital where Sarah works."

Noxworthy spoke immediately as if he had somewhere else to be. "Any other questions, Steven?"

I thought for a minute. I really didn't. So why are you still so uneasy about this? I thought.

"I'll need to talk to my wife," I replied. "And we'll give you our decision."

"Because of the time sensitivity here," Noxworthy said, "I'm sorry, but we'll need an answer by noon tomorrow. I apologize. But if the answer is no, we need time to find and screen a replacement couple. At least you can both sleep on it."

Sarah and I ended the call. We sat and talked well into the night, almost finishing a bottle of wine. My wife was extra-frisky that night, but there was something there that I couldn't recognize. Was it appreciation, or anxiety? We both fell into a deep slumber, sated.

Over breakfast, Sarah pleaded her case. "Steve, I want to do this," she said. "I'm begging you to please say 'yes.'"

"I'm still not sure," I told my wife. "I'll need to keep thinking about it." The reality was, I hoped noon would just pass us by, and it would be over.

"Well, then, please tell me what's bothering you," she was determined. "Please let's talk it through like we always do."

I had to think about it. I didn't have anything concrete, just a feeling. "I don't understand their method. I couldn't fathom some all-inclusive-style study, as they'd described. But with the feds involved, I wasn't sure what to expect. Something didn't feel right."

Sarah came over and sat on my lap, taking my hand in hers. "You're such a sweet man," she said sincerely. "Always looking out for me. I know it seems weird. I feel it too, but I need to do this. I want my husband with me to either enjoy it or protect me. I don't feel threatened, but I'd always rather have you by my side, as opposed to going it alone."

By eleven forty-five, Sarah had persuaded me to take the leap.

>>>>

Two weeks later, I held my wife's hand as we boarded our flight. It had been a busy two weeks, planning, getting blood drawn, and swabbing ourselves. My wife was given the final week off at the hospital, not wanting to contract the virus and screw up her study. I still had apprehensions and constantly tried to push them to the back of my mind. Even after having everything explained to me, something didn't feel right. I promised myself that I would be vigilant, so I could protect my wife... from what, I did not know.

We were greeted like tourists as we debarked the plane. Brian Noxworthy was right there to welcome us. We climbed aboard something that looked like a half-golf cart, and half-four-wheeler. The hotel, or resort, I wasn't sure, was only a ten-minute drive from the airstrip. During the drive, Noxworthy, and a smartly dressed woman gave us a rundown of the next few day's weather and a menu of things to do.

Sarah and I were escorted by a different, but very attractive staff member to our fifth-floor room and told that there was a welcome reception in the hotel lobby at seven o'clock. Because almost all the participants were arriving that same day, from all over the Midwest, it was optional, but were told it would be a great opportunity to meet and bond with the other couples. The view, and of course, our bed was just enticing enough that I thought about telling Sarah we should skip it. We didn't.

With some small plates of extravagant appetizers, and a glass of tropical punch, Sarah and I found a stand-up table and started scanning the room. I mentioned that there seemed to be a good cross-section of humans. All races, and ages, except the elderly, were present.

A couple, in their forties, came by and asked if they could share our ridiculously small table. Ron and Mary were talkative and told us all about how they'd met and been married for twenty-two years. Neither Sarah nor I could get a word in until it was time for Noxworthy himself to grab a mic and welcome all of us. He pontificated about the importance of these studies for humanity, and how good we should feel about our contributions and sacrifices. The use of the word 'sacrifices,' seemed a little over the top, considering we were being treated like the wealthy. Ron and Mary remained chatty as I tried to listen to all Noxworthy was saying.

My ears perked up when I heard something about couples counseling and their morning hours every day except Sundays. I couldn't get it all without shooshing the other couple and appearing rude. I'd need to look at our welcome packet later.

The evening wound down appropriately, as most of the ten couples were exhausted after a long travel day. Sarah and I went to our room, and she stunned me when she asked if we could skip sex that night if she promised to make it up to me in the morning.

"Sarah, relax," I scolded. "I know you're happy I agreed to this, and are trying to be extra-appreciative, but just be yourself. When was the last time we had sex after a traveling day this long?"

"I don't know," she shrugged, looking a little shocked at my mini outburst. "I was just trying to be thoughtful."

While Sarah was getting ready for bed, I went through the brochure and our itinerary.

There it was at the bottom of page two, with an asterisk. "Couples counseling available, free of charge, upon request."

I also noticed our scheduling, which had Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays highlighted, with pre-and post-sessions, along with was listed only as sessions, from morning to early afternoon. The other days were labeled as "Free time." It seemed weird to me, the lack of control with these studies. I was almost expecting a time-share presentation at breakfast.

My wife came out of the bathroom, her hair wrapped in a towel, and a loose-fitting robe covering her. "Babe," I started to ask, "I heard Noxworthy mention couples counseling. Did you get any information on that?"

Sarah looked at me like she'd seen a ghost. Sure, she recovered quickly, but I'd known her long enough, to see that look before she masked it.

"I... Um," she stammered. "Are we headed for a divorce or something?" she smiled but it was clearly to cover her concern. "I didn't know we had relationship troubles."

I ignored her attempt at humor. "No," I replied. "I'm just wondering what it is for. Did I miss something? Did you know?"

Sarah came and sat beside me, taking the pages from my hand. "Steve," she admonished, "Please hun, take your own advice and relax a little. A lot, actually. You've been on pins and needles all day. I know you have worries, and it's just in your nature. Please, baby, let's do our best to enjoy this experience."

She found the counseling blurb on the footer. "This says 'at no charge' so maybe they're offering it to couples who may have been having some problems when they volunteered?"

She was asking, not suggesting and it felt like a sell job, or at least a little deflection. I certainly wasn't going to relax, nor could I. The hairs on the back of my neck were on end.

Like most new days, Saturday dawned leaving me a bit more at ease and determined to enjoy the day with my wife. We ate at the breakfast buffet, which was akin to something at a Cancun all-inclusive. I didn't mind crab and lobster for breakfast, but I again wondered how the studies' volunteers weren't on some sort of restrictive diet, as a control point.

Ron and Mary found, and then joined us, as we discussed what activities we were all going to be involved with that day and the next. There were a number of 'stressful' activities, like rock climbing, trail biking, and zip-lining, which Ron argued was about the least strenuous activity he could imagine. After two mimosas - non-alcoholic knockoffs - I decided to chill out and quit acting like I was at work, trying to figure things out.

Sarah and I did go on a magnificent bike ride, the pinnacle of which was a lookout that boasted a spectacular view of one-half of the island and the Atlantic Ocean, plus a few distant islands in the chain. Later in the day, we decided to take a jeep tour of the island, just to relax a bit.

Noxworthy climbed aboard our jeep, just before the driver pulled out of the hotel. He was seated behind me and Sarah.

The island was small - five miles in circumference at its thinnest point, and only eight miles at its widest. The tour took us through the middle, which was rich in vegetation, and we ended up on the opposite side, driving along white sandy beaches.

I was distracted by the beauty, until we came upon a group of young men, playing volleyball in the sand. All were good-looking chaps and quite muscular. The entire scene was so natural that it took me at least five minutes after we passed them by, to hit me.

"I thought you said Stratagem owned the entire island," I said looking over my shoulder at Noxworthy.

"We do," he said in a perplexed tone. "Why?"

"Oh," I replied. "Those young men back there. Are they guests as well?"

Noxworthy almost answered immediately. Almost.

He held his tongue, looked at me, then at the back of Sarah's head, then back to me.

"They are guests," he began. "They are also test subjects. Different testing, but yes, they are here for the same reasons you are."

"And I suppose," I probed, "you can't divulge what kind of tests?"

Noxworthy was slick. He politely told me that he couldn't, and then changed the subject. What he was saying, I had no knowledge of, since I was deep in thought. Something wasn't right. I'd need to push hard with Sarah once we got back to our room and had some privacy.

After a wonderful dinner, Sarah and I retired to our room and took more non-alcoholic beverages out with us onto the balcony, where we sat and watched the sunset.

Sarah was cuddled into me, on the lounge chair. She seemed more content than I'd felt her in a long time. I wondered if her contentment would be at the expense of my angst. There were plenty of things I should have asked, looking back, but I loved Sarah. I trusted her with my well-being - a silly notion, to be sure - but then, we're all silly creatures in one way or another.

There were too many things about this study that didn't add up, and highly suspicious things at that. But my Sarah wanted to do this with all her heart. I'd do my very best to protect her, was my thought then. I had no idea what Stratagem or Noxworthy were up to, but something stunk to high heaven. Science was still science, even if interconnected with a twisted government.

Sarah and I stayed there on the balcony for quite some time. It felt good to hold her for that long. Eventually, we got up, and walked into our bedroom, hand in hand, with no words spoken. Our love-making that night was - other-worldly. She went all out to sate my carnal desires - or perhaps, all in.

As we lay together catching our breath, I asked her what had gotten into her.

"Umm," she purred. "Just this place. I don't know. Loving you, and having you here with me, as I'm doing something meaningful for people. Maybe, it's all for me, I don't know. I always thought I'd been helping people, saving them, even. But these past few years I've begun to doubt that. It's been hard to - square things in my head. Thank you so much for loving me."

I held her tighter without replying. We fell asleep that way.

Sunday started the way Saturday ended. I awoke to Sarah's tender lips wrapped around my cock. As badly as I needed to pee, my wife wasn't about to let me up until she finished the job. After we showered together, I reciprocated, as Sarah rocked through three orgasms. That was unusual for her. After almost nine years, I guess I didn't exactly float her boat as I once had, but that morning was exceptional.

At breakfast, we decided to try the jet skis, and if we were still feeling it, maybe parasailing lessons. A resort employee came to our table and told Sarah that Dr. Ling had requested a few minutes of her time when we'd finished our meal. My wife looked apprehensive for a moment - almost troubled. She recovered quickly, and smiling at the employee told her she'd be along shortly.

"Everything okay, my love?" I asked her.

"Yes," she said right away. "I've been focused on reconnecting with you, enjoying today." She gently palmed my cheek. "That came out of left field and made me remember why we're really here."

We walked through the lobby and took the elevator to the second floor, where the offices were located. When we got into the lobby, Sarah stopped and turned to me.

"Let me see what they need," she said softly. "Wait here, I'll only be a minute."

She lied to me. It took her five minutes, but then we were in our room changing, and shortly thereafter, on our way to the dock to begin our day. I asked her what they wanted on a Sunday morning, and Sarah told me, "Oh, it was nothing important."

I was going to have to wait until the next day to fill in the blanks or have it out with Sarah, and probably Noxworthy as well. Oddly, I wasn't thinking much about them, or even my wife then. I was worrying about myself. My job was important to me and to Sarah and my lifestyle. I didn't want to jeopardize it by prematurely making waves.

Instead, Sarah and I had another joyous day on the water and the sand. We laughed together a lot that day, and my anxiety slowly melted away. Dinner was nicely romantic, as we ate in the upscale steak and seafood restaurant. By the time we got back to the room, sex was already off the table. The sun had beaten us down, and Sarah had only used protection fifty sunblock. We lay cuddled together with the warm tropical breeze washing over us from the open balcony. I was asleep in no time.

When I awoke, I thought I'd set the alarm clock. Then I realized it was my phone ringing - my cell - not the room's phone. Sarah was gone. I looked at the clock and realized it was nine-fifteen already. Sluggishly, I reached over and grabbed my cell.

"Hello," I graveled.

It was Brian Noxworthy, and he asked if I could come to his office as soon as possible. I told him about sleeping in but promised I would meet him there before going to breakfast.

Noxworthy's office was also on the second floor, near the back of the complex. It had two floor-to-ceiling mahogany doors. A voice within replied right away when I knocked.

"Ah, Mr. Boswell," he greeted me jovially. "Come in."

Dr. Ling was sitting in one of the two chairs in front of his desk. There were two large men bookending the doors, both with their hands crossed in front of themselves. I let my gaze linger on them before turning towards our host with a questioning look.

"Part of my security team," he said. "Come and join us."

Every little hair on my body was standing on end. Everything about the 'resort and vacation,' that I had found suspicious since Sarah and I had arrived, now was forefront and I went into defensive mode.

"I must thank you," Noxworthy exclaimed. "For your help, and your selflessness - offering the month, not to mention your holidays, for this extremely important trial."

"Yeah, well," I chuckled nervously, "you should probably be thanking my wife instead of me."

"Oh... we have," there was an undertone of sarcasm in his voice.

"And that brings us to this conversation," he continued. "It was brought to my attention this morning that your wife, Sarah, still hasn't explained the entirety of these trials to you, and that simply won't do."

He let that sink in. I was speechless, mostly out of anticipation. The large screen behind his desk came to life, with a familiar anatomy chart of the female reproductive system. Noxworthy nodded to Dr. Ling, giving him the floor.