Overmatched - Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was still standing in the foyer, staring at them. The movement in my peripheral caught my attention. Two very large and well-dressed men made their way into the room from the kitchen.

"Gentlemen," Jack looked at them as he open-palm waved me toward my recliner. "Please wait for me outside. Andrew, please sit."

There were plenty in the way of warnings I wanted to spout just then but they would all come as empty threats. I figured, what the hell? He'd brought protection anyway.

"Andrew, let me get straight to the point," he went on. "I know Mortimer explained but I want to reiterate. Your wife, Katie, has become an integral part of our organization. I assure you her skills and work ethic are what has earned her promotion and favor." That was rich - him talking ethics.

"In fact, I can see Katie attaining a director or vice-president position in the near future, say, two to four years. She has a promising career with Worldview." He paused and I sat there like a statue.

"Now," he cleared his throat. "Let me address the part you're clearly having trouble with."

Seeing that I wasn't going to respond, he kept going. "As with all of my past assistants, I require hard work, loyalty, and... companionship." He left the last word hanging.

"The companion part will be infrequent but according to my needs. I assure you Katie will always be respected and well-treated just like my former or future assistants. We will be working together on multi-million-dollar deals and the pace is ferocious. But it's not forever. There is a shelf-life.

"Now," he kept at it. "You won't share any of the same treatment. That's unfortunate but, according to my needs. I'm not looking to be your friend. Your only gain will be financial, through Katie's salary, but you should know a few other things that may help you." He paused again, seemingly expecting a reaction.

"First, there's zero chance of any romance. I don't have time for that and never have. Any shared intimacy will be an extension of her job duties. Also, Katie becoming attracted to my considerable bedroom skills will be strongly discouraged." He started speaking faster, probably trying to keep me from butting in.

"There will be no pillow talk, terms of endearment, or disparagement of you. I fully expect Katie to covet you as her husband and happily anticipate her return home to you. We've spoken this weekend about my long list of expectations and she can share most of them with you later. They include her loyalty to me and respect for you."

I found the specific words he used to be interesting. Covet, for example. Loyalty and respect extended to the wrong person. What I mostly wanted to do was leap up and beat them both to a pulp.

"There will be zero other partners for your wife besides me," he smiled and seemed to be wrapping up. "No comparisons or bad-mouthing." Jack folded his hands and leaned forward in his seat.

"We take what we want, yes," he said. "But we aren't heartless. Listen, Morti can be quite brash. He's had to fight for everything he's gained in life. Me, I'm more pragmatic. I aspire to understand a man who's forced to accept our world as it is."

He waited again. I'd had enough of his highbrow bullshit.

"You talk a good game, Jack," I snorted much to Katie's dismay. "You do. I call bullshit. I'm no loser but I've lost my job and my wife in a very short time. These things were taken from me by a couple of self-absorbed pricks. I've also shown Katie what I think of her decision-making."

The smile on Power's face was instantaneous. "Your wife makes more than enough now to purchase whatever kind of undergarments she desires. Since you burned those that were special to the two of you, everything she purchases over the next two years she'll be sharing with both of us."

"Fuck you, you smug prick," I yelled through gritted teeth. "You better pray I don't ever..."

"There you go," he was smug, "get it all out of your system. Go on, threaten me, hell, threaten everyone. Throw things about, or maybe, come at me. The first shot is free but then my guys end your ass. You wouldn't be the first husband stupid enough to make his wife a widow."

I felt outplayed and a step behind. With his two men on my porch, it wasn't the time for heroics. I sat there, glaring at him, knowing it was totally inadequate. Jack smelled my despair.

"Look, Andrew," he feigned mock empathy. "I'd be disappointed if you acted a wimp. From my time observing you at Worldview, you've struck me as a no-bullshit man's man. Honestly, that feeds my ego, knowing what you'll be feeling and thinking when Katie is with me, even when we're just working. That breeds respect in people like me. I can promise you, that while I'll enjoy my time with your wife, I will not disparage you - not to her or anyone else. It takes a smart man - a winner - to know when he's beaten, to be able to put aside his natural pride and accept he's not the bigger bear.

"Now, two final things," I hoped he was telling the truth. "Katie will be accompanying me for five days during New Year's week. You get her for Christmas. I suggest you treat her like a treasured wife because if I hear otherwise, well. New Year's Eve is on a Saturday and she'll be home Sunday night."

"Jack, I'm gonna fucking k..."

"Last thing," he cut me off. "Don't thank me for the remodel. Actions have consequences - always. I've confiscated your sports memorabilia collection to cover the cost of labor installing your new bedroom furniture and the wall repair." He motioned above my fireplace and sure enough, there was no damage.

I jumped to my feet. Every fiber of Jack's being said he wanted me to attack. For all his verbosity about respect, he wanted to get me into a forced-error situation. I ran down into the basement where I kept my collection. My entire little display, which wasn't much in honesty, was gone. I was no aficionado but collecting the signed balls and jerseys had taken some doing.

I stood there fighting back extreme rage. I wouldn't be baited but I promised myself then and there Jack and Mortimer and all the rest of them would pay. If it took the rest of my life, they'd pay dearly.

As I came back up the stairs, I heard Jack and his posse driving away. I looked over into the kitchen and my eyes locked with Katie's as she just stood there frozen by the sink. My gaze seemed to take a moment to register with her for some reason. Absent of any love or endearment, I looked at her with contempt. Finally, her realization forced back a sob as a few large tears ran down her cheeks.

"Was that good for you?" I asked with venom.

Oh, Andrew!" she mustered.

"I'll bet it was at least as good as your weekend of fucking betrayal," I added.

"I... I didn't," she stopped mid-sentence when I leaned forward and spat at her. Everything in her expression and maybe in her mind seized as if she'd just stumbled out of the debris of a plane crash.

"This isn't going to end well," I continued my rant. "For you... and when I'm finished with those motherfuckers..."

Katie changed in an instant. "We. Need. To talk. About this." The tone was obscure, camouflaged even, as her eyes flew around the room and her arms waved in all directions at the walls.

Fuck, I thought, I'd forgotten about the surveillance.

"I've got to get out of here," I told her, suddenly resigned. "I can't stand the sight of you." I grabbed my coat and keys and barreled out the door.

Morty's had the best pub grub in town but the name made me drive a little further to the Caddyshack. I ordered a Jameson and an IPA chaser along with a twelve-inch pizza. Not seven minutes after I sat down and certainly before I could collect my thoughts, Katie came strolling in and straight to my booth. I was going to lash out but I didn't have any fight left in me.

"Can't even respect my need for a little peace and quiet," I said, shaking my head. It wasn't intended as a question. The server came back and asked her what she wanted to drink. Ignoring my comment, she asked the server to move us to a single booth in the corner. After we were reseated, Katie looked me in the eye.

"Can we talk, now?" she asked. I'd seen that look and heard that tone before. Oddly, when I loved her, it never really bothered me. Not answering, I just glared back at her, defying her to push further.

Katie's look softened. "I'm sorry," she claimed. "I don't want to fight. What I was trying to say at the house, was that I didn't have sex with him, Andy."

I leaned forward, in a growling whisper. "Bullshit, Katie. I don't believe you."

"Oh, it wasn't because I was valiant or gallant," she barked back. "I didn't hold him off, struggle, fight or knock him out. He simply said he wanted to get to know his new PA."

Katie paused and took a deep breath before letting out a sigh. "I knew what was happening. I found out right before the banquet - probably much in the same way you did when you talked to Mr. Biggs. Yes, I knew he'd be taking you aside and I also knew that our lives would be forever changed."

Katie took a few moments, either for her own benefit or mine. "I was deathly frightened when you didn't return to the party. I'd told them earlier that you wouldn't stand for what they were proposing but they laughed at me. Jack told me later as the party was winding down that you'd been driven home. He made me write you a note according to his script and handed it to one of his security people. He spent a good part of the weekend trying to reassure me that you'd be okay - that we both would - once we understood our options. On the flight home, he let me know you'd been dismissed for everyone's benefit."

My wife looked sincere but there wasn't any way for me to not hold her accountable for her part in this.

"Fine," I said. "So, you didn't fuck him... yet. But you're going to. For all I know, you did and you're lying now. Maybe even before Friday. At best, I think you want this... wanted it and planned with them. Tell me the fucking truth, right now."

"I never wanted it," she said without hesitation and again with a sincerity I knew well. At least I thought I had.

"Then I plan to fight them," I announced. "I'm not sure how yet but you're my wife and I'll fight for us both. If I find out you're lying, I'll come after you with the same alacrity."

She reached across the table and took my hand tightly. "Please, don't," she almost begged. That startled me and I pulled away. "You don't know these people like I do. Yes, you worked there. Sure, you may have some vague ideas but not all of it. Hell, even I don't truly know what they are capable of."

For the first time, it seemed like Katie wanted to lash out. I'd infuriated her with my comment but again, she took her time and regained her composure.

"That's my point," she said quieter, "They play with people's lives. They take what they want and crush anyone in their way and it doesn't even cost them a dime."

"So, you're telling me I should just take it and do nothing?" I asked incredulously. "That might work for you... heading off to romantic, exotic locations, getting some strange from rich and powerful men. Fuck that. They're taking everything from me. Job. Wife. Self-respect. Etcetera."

"Sure," she leaned in, more irate than before. "Be the big man. Wind up dead and forever missing. Leave me to deal with them. Leave me crushed... crushed with sorrow because I'll never know what happened to you. Sad and afraid for my own life so no police confessions when they question me about your disappearance. Crushed with guilt because I took a job there in the first place and for not recognizing who and what these people are or are capable of. Then, finally, fear. Constant fear that when they're finished with me, I'll end up at the bottom of a lake next to you. Try to be a hero and that's your future... and mine."

"They are bluffing," I retorted. "All that drama you just spouted? Jack probably told you - coached you - to say it. If you really meant it, come with me right now to see the FBI. You were taken across state lines and out of the country against your will. That means we can bypass local authorities."

Katie looked frayed and sad. "Andy, I love you," she began. "But you need to get your head out of your ass. I need you right now. We need to figure out what we're going to do - what we can do - if anything. They aren't threatening me right now with my life, they're threatening me with yours. And damn it, I don't know what to d..."

Katie broke down sobbing then. She put her head on her hands on the table and wept. I moved around the other side of the booth to comfort her as we drew onlookers.

"Easy, easy," I tried to calm her. "Relax, Katie. Alright. Let's talk about it."

When Katie looked up her expression and demeanor had changed. The worry and fear was gone, replaced by a look of pity.

"Andy," she said softly. "They changed your employment file. It shows you being an overly jealous husband. Mentally unstable. It shows them painting themselves as a patient employer doing things by the book, getting you some professional help for your issues and then, paying for it."

I went to say something and she cut me off. "Tell me, What did you do last night when you lost your temper?" Good, I thought. We were going to find out if my theory about the house being wired was correct. Then it dawned on me that I already knew. Jack had admitted as much. I simply wasn't thinking right anymore. I was completely out of my league and overmatched.

"I'm guessing you already do?" I asked.

"I do," she admitted. "I was told this morning in Jack's office."

"Along with another warning to get me in line, I suppose?" I wondered if she just didn't get it.

"That's why he was at our home," she went on. "That wasn't planned until today. More threats and more conditioning. It's not only the surveillance system, Andy. They made it clear, without the words, that any more stunts by you would leave me alone and belonging to them. Jack actually laughed at one point and said he hoped that you wouldn't be able to get your pride and anger under control."

She gulped her wine. "Maybe to show me what I'm up against, they called you into HR early and then they erased everything you did - literally erased it." I glared, I guess in disbelief.

"Pull your phone out if you doubt me," she declared. "Look at our checking account where your payroll check is deposited." I made no move to check because I couldn't stand any more bad news.

"They replaced all of our bedroom furniture," she kept going, apparently angry at them. "Fixed the wall. Some woman I'd never seen before rang the doorbell, handed me bags from four different stores without a single word, and left. Inside were several pairs of underwear I later found out you burned. The horrifying thing was that almost everything was replaced to a tee. What that woman brought probably outdid what I could have replaced with memory and inventory over a month. They were able to access our bank account. In under four hours, they undid all the damage you did and made you... us, pay for it."

Pulling out my phone I brought up the banking app and she was right. They'd even transferred money from savings into checking to readjust the balance.

"And my sports memorabilia?" I asked snidely.

"I'd say a lesson - or a warning - not to piss them off again." She was being honest, not contrite.

With nothing to say I contemplated. She filled the void. "I don't think the FBI can help us. I wouldn't be able to trust them."

"Okay," I said asked with sarcasm, "what do you think we should do?"

"You're not going to like my idea," she cautioned. "Still want to hear it?" I slowly nodded.

"I think we should play along," she held up her hand when she saw I was about to interrupt. "I said 'play' along not go along. I can't see another option and since the banquet, I've thought of little else.

"Here's what I think," she continued, "You know their systems and security. You've already broken into it once and you were one of those in charge of keeping the world out. I'll be working closely with Jack... and Ben," she paused due to my reaction to Jack's name. Then she seemed to realize that my concern was Ben.

"No, honey," she consoled. "Never with Ben. I told Jack I wouldn't do that and he laughed, saying he wanted me... he wanted that part to be exclusive to him and me."

My anger rose again but I tamped it down the best I could.

"Anyway," she desperately wanted to get off that topic. "If I could find something - anything - Illegal or otherwise that we could hang over their heads, something you could isolate and we could prove..."

"They're already doing something illegal," I told her. "Kidnapping you and forcing you to be the company..." She winced as I stopped myself. There wasn't any good reason to continue demeaning her.

"My firing with quid pro quo attached was another crime, likely a felony. They seem to have that covered too." The frustration was clear in my voice.

"Babe, think about it," she said. "The McMillin deal concluded two weeks ago. Jack took me there for an hour's worth of work that an admin could have handled. That means people at the top of McMillin know about this too and are possibly involved. They'd all back the Belize trip and claim you went berserk. Your termination would end up being the least of it. You'd be ruined in your field and have a hard time finding work. They can use what you did this weekend at the house against you, too."

She was right and I still wasn't thinking clearly. Katie was ahead of me but was that because Jack made sure she would be? I felt forlorn and suddenly despondent.

"Come home with me, Andy," she pleaded, reaching for my hand. "I don't know what we'll do - what we can do - but whatever it is, I want us to do it together. You're still the love of my life. That won't ever change and I'm your wife, not your enemy. Let me prove it, so you'll never doubt it." She held back a sob. "If you end up hating me it will be just as if they killed you because inside, I'd be dead."

Katie did start to cry then. I couldn't help but feel for her and, although I didn't comfort her as I would have at any time up until the previous Friday, I did allow her to put her head into my chest and get it all out. The crazy part was that she seemed sincere. That didn't correspond with my theory and made me at least wonder. Finally, she looked up into my eyes.

"We can survive this," she said softly. "For some reason, they seem to have rules, such as the two-year thing. That tells me that there's at least some vulnerability or perception of it in their minds. We just need to discover it." There was a pause where I could tell she was thinking hard.

"Also, I'm no idiot," she continued. "I know how you're going to feel when I'm gone. Hell, I know how I'd feel if I were in your place. I know you're not going to feel loved or like loving me when I come back home. I'm sure those will be the hardest times for both of us because I'll be craving your love but I'll also understand why you won't be able to give it. For sure, we'll have to decide how long we go without intimacy. We need to improve our communication even beyond how we've been as a couple and agree on what each of us needs from our partner to bring us back to the center of our love."

"Hold on, Katie," I needed to keep this a two-way conversation. "That sounds sweet and caring on its face and for the most part, I agree. "I've had all weekend to think about it. Yes, of course, the sex you have with him, which I also picture in my mind, will have a major impact on our relationship. I'm pretty sure that's something they get off on, unfortunately for me. Beyond that, and more importantly, is undermining our trust and respect for each other. They'll think..."