Everything I'm Not

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Eric grinned at me. "I'm sorry, honey. I know you loved your job. And while I don't think being the wife of a farmer is such a bad job, I know you. You might take a few months off. In fact, I think it's a good idea until after we get back from our honeymoon, then I expect you to start looking for office space. That way, as head of your own company, you can pick and choose your clients."

I collapsed into sobs again, wondering if it was possible to love him even more.

*****

I sighed as I walked into the office the next day. By now, everyone pertinent would have read my email, so I was not surprised to see a furious Betty waiting.

Betty, to use one of Eric's favorite sayings, lit me up like a Christmas tree. By the time she had run out of steam, she had used words I never thought she knew, and some I didn't know. I was guessing none were flattering, though. I hugged her when she ran down, feeling her tears on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Betty. I should have prepared you, but I was just so angry I didn't think. Sit down, we need to talk."

She looked confused when I started but was grinning when I stopped. "So then, in summary, you're leaving here and starting your own firm. And it seems you need an experienced associate to help you get it off the ground, even to the point of offering a minority share of the business to get her. Gee, let me think about this for a minute. Stay here, working out the rest of my days like any other thousands of drones, or going out on my own with someone I love and respect as a minor partner, making me a queen bee, making more than I ever have before. Gee, let me think about that some more."

She was laughing, so I knew we were all right. Then she started planning the staff we would need, telling me she had no problem doing a little corporate raiding to get them.

"Be careful, Betty. In fact, don't tell anyone what our plans are. Plus, we're still close friends and I'm related to a lot of them. Let's go out in style, with good feelings all around. Who knows, maybe they'll use us as independent contractors from time to time. There's a movement among the other banks to close their PR departments down and outsource, we might just arrive on the scene at the right time. I'd hate to work for another bank, but work is work."

I left her smiling and making lists and made my way to Hank's office. I was surprised to see he wasn't as upset as I thought. "I thought this might happen. Officially, I'm very displeased at your decision, but personally I think it's a good move. Have you talked to CJ yet?"

I was confused. "Why should I? He doesn't usually concern himself with the comings and goings of his lower-level employees."

"Maybe so, but he concerns himself over you. You've been his Golden Girl for over a year now. I shouldn't tell you this, but I'll be moving back to Boston in three months. They've kicked me upstairs, and you were the front runner to get my job. I expect he will not be a happy camper when he gives you a call."

To say he was unhappy was an understatement. I got the call right after lunch. He started out with one statement. "Why? Don't bullshit me here, Susan. I happen to remember that three weeks ago when we spoke you were very happy in your job. Now it seems like you can't get away fast enough. What happened?"

He was the leader of our company, and what was happening here could have consequences going all the way to the top, so I told him the truth. He listened without interruption, then asked three questions. When I answered them he said he understood, but that he didn't accept my resignation. "I'm going to let it ride for three weeks, and I need you on my team on this. After it's over, if you still want to go out on your own, I'll support you. I'll even hire your new firm as consultants, to get our new people up to speed. Good-bye, Susan."

CJ himself showed up three days later, with a team of twenty. Defecation definitely made contact with rotating oscillators. He spent a week with the branch managers, the regional manager, brought in a few more guys from corporate, and some people that no one knew. His only contact with me was a cryptic command.

"Watch the news tomorrow morning."

*****

"Late last night, Vito Cappelli, County Commissioner for the Western District, was arrested at his home by the FBI. He is facing charges of corruption, collusion with organized crime, and receiving bribe money for attempting to sway the Commissioners to vote for specific agendas. Several other men were also arrested, and all are awaiting extradition to New Jersey, New York, and Florida, before returning here for trial. Mrs. Cappelli had no comment, and Mr. Cappelli referred all questions to his lawyer, who issued this statement.

"'The only thing my client is guilty of is trying to improve the lives of those he serves through better jobs and services. These charges are baseless, false, and politically motivated, and I expect the good name of my client will be restored quickly. That is all we are willing to say at this time.'

"Several more locals are being interviewed for possible involvement. We will report on this as information becomes available. Channel 6 Eyewitness News Action team. Now, back to the studio."

I sat on Eric's lap, crying softly. "This is what you couldn't tell me?"

He felt me nodding into his chest. "My God! No wonder you wanted to resign. The pressure must have been intense. I'm very proud of you, honey, and sure you had a hand in exposing it all."

Still snuffling, I sat up and nodded. "The whole situation was rotten from the start, and it gets worse. I'm pretty sure the regional manager was involved, as well as some of the commercial loan department. Maybe even Mona."

*****

I found out that Mona was involved. Not directly, romantically. It seemed one of the lawyers she was working with seduced her, making promises he never had any intention of keeping, so she went out of her way to make the deal a success. Her only defense is she really had no idea what was going on. Once it hit she took every bit of information she had to the board and the police. The company rallied behind her but she still just barely survived going to jail. CJ was a little pissed and moved her once again to keep her out of the limelight.

She stayed to tie up loose ends, and then one day she was just gone.

The main players in our little drama all got prison sentences, several for murder and attempted murder. Mr. Cappelli got shipped off to New Jersey, to find an unforgiving justice system, still angry at the murder of the DA. Even though he wasn't directly involved he was charged as an accessory after the fact. He ended up rolling over on his cronies for a reduced sentence at a camp cupcake prison, where he was killed by another inmate in less than a year. It was, after all, a prison, populated by criminals.

*****

Of course, the bank asked me to stay but my heart wasn't in it anymore. Betty and I did start our own business, and soon the bank was outsourcing more and more work to us. Then one day they shut their inhouse branch down and we got all their business. That was two years after we went out on our own. By then we had such a large client base we'd had to expand. I had a whole floor of a downtown high-rise, with thirty people working for us.

Eric and I married, and we did honeymoon in the Greek Isles, coming back with nice full body tans and a ton of memories. We made a vow to return on our twentieth anniversary and recapture the magic.

Jackie is a dowager now, twelve years old, a pretty good lifespan for a terrier. We know the end is coming soon and it breaks our heart. She's led a good and pampered life, and we bred her twice, keeping a male from one litter and a female from another. They belong to our kids, Eric Jr. and Sarah. Eric is ten and Sarah, our baby, is seven. Their dogs sleep on their beds and both children had to learn how to care for them as a condition of ownership. Jr. has already learned to drive a tractor but his enthusiasm for farming stops there. Sarah is destined to be the farmer, following her Dad around constantly when she's not in school. She's already won several ribbons in the local fair, for exotic vegetables she helped raise.

Between school activities, farming, my career, and life in general, we don't get too many opportunities to be alone. Eric solved that problem by declaring one weekend a month ours. The kids usually stay with Aunt Betty or friends and we retreat to the cabin to renew our love for each other. We're in our forties now and not quite as energetic as we once were, but for that one weekend a month we try to be.

Jr. is already talking about staying in the cabin with friends alone and we've agreed to let him, after he turns twelve. For now, both kids get a weekend once in a while, chaperoned by us or other parents. It usually takes a day or two to clean the place, but they both help, knowing if they don't they lose a turn.

It's a good life so far. The only sadness came when CJ passed of a sudden and unexpected heart attack. He was 74, older than I thought. His wife had passed a few years earlier and he never really got over the loss. At least they're together now.

When his will was read many were stunned to find out how wealthy he was. 1.1 billion. True to his word, we all received a small inheritance and a personal letter. I cried, as I'm sure many did, when I read mine. He talked about how much he had admired me for my principles and integrity, and how much he envied our life. My 'small' inheritance was just over a million dollars. We had no idea what to do with the money so we invested it. It would be a good retirement nest egg and help to the kids (and hopefully grandchildren) when we passed.

We're still heavily involved in the Feast In The Field event and probably will be until we're just not able anymore. Eric and I take the kids down to the soup kitchen it sponsors once in a while, to volunteer and understand that not all have a perfect life. Sarah is too young to understand, but I think Jr. is starting to get it.

I snuggle down next to Eric at night, and say a prayer to God in praise of rednecks.

*****

This is an old story that I started eight years ago and abandoned. My resolve is to finish all the stories I have started, over 80, before I start anything new. This will include Brother Love, Rocky Raccon, The Hogue Chronicle, a sequel to Annie Fucking Oakley, and a few others. I'll also finish the sequel to Boston to Birmingham, about the life of Melissa Sue. Those alone should take me well in to next year.

Thanks for reading, comment if you like, vote if you think it's worth it.

Q